JOB ROLE: Intermediate Database Administrator
REPORTS TO: Operations Manager
DIVISION: Interactive Solutions (PTY) LTD.
BASED IN: Durban, Kwa-Zulu Natal
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE INTERMEDIATE DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR
The Intermediate Database Administrator is responsible for the performance, integrity and security of databases as well as being involved in the planning and development of the database as well as troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users.
DUTIES OF THE INTERMEDIATE DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR
- The Intermediate Database Administrator is responsive for establishing the needs of users and monitoring user access and security;
- Monitoring performance and managing parameters to provide fast responses to front-end users
- Mapping out the conceptual design for a planned database
- Considering both back-end organisation of data and front-end accessibility for end-users
- Refining the logical design so that it can be translated into a specific data model
- Further refining the physical design to meet system storage requirements
- Installing and testing new versions of the DBMS
- Writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata)
- Controlling access permissions and privileges
- Developing, managing and testing back-up and recovery plans
- Ensuring that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly
- Capacity planning
- Working closely with IT project managers, database developers and software developer
- Communicating regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security
- Commissioning and installing new applications and customising existing applications in order to make them fit for purpose
CAREER PATH CORE COMPETENCIES
- Assist in the facilitation of team meetings.
- Deliver informative, well-organised presentations.
- Understand how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
- Facilitate effective team interaction.
- Acknowledge and appreciates each team member’s contributions.
- Communicate effectively with internal clients to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions with company project management.
- Continually seek opportunities to increase internal client satisfaction and deepen client relationships.
- Manage internal client expectations effectively.\
- Conduct effective progress evaluations in a timely manner.
- Mentos those with less experience through informal channels.
- Seek and participate in development opportunities above and beyond training required by the company.
- Train other innovators through both formal and informal training programs.
- Suggest areas for improvement in internal processes along with possible solutions.
- Lead internal teams/task forces.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS OF THE INTERMEDIATE DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR
- An honours degree (of at least 2nd class) in Computer Science or Software Engineering (or equally relevant subject)
- Minimum of 1 years’ SQL database administration experience in a high pressured, fast paced environment
- Must be competent in Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2/ 2012
- Previous experience in T-SQL Scripting, SQL replication and exporting & importing of data is essential
- Must be able to create MS SQL Logins as well as have strong knowledge in Database Security
- SSIS, SSRS and Analysis Services experience would be advantageous
- No-SQL experience would be advantageous
- Must be comfortable learning/exploring new technologies
- Experience in working effectively within a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Flexibility toward travelling when required
Interested? Email an updated copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you aren’t contacted after 14 days, please consider your application unsuccessful.